The Foot

The adventures of a migrant science teacher: "Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."

Wednesday, September 26, 2001

These past two days have been interesting. I made a 5 hour drive up to Lima New York to look at a college. Kinda scary. Not "OH MY! THESE PEOPLE ARE TALL!!" scary, but "Can I do this?" scary. You see, when you are a freshman and freedom is on the horizon all you want to do is race towards it full speed. No thought to whether you know how to cook well enough to keep yourself from starving, or how you are going to care for yourself when you get a stomach virus and have to pay homage to the porcelin god all night, or how you are going to grammar check your papers all BY YOUR SELF. Noooooo, you think you can rule the world and that the 'bondage' your environment and folks are inflicting on you will just go away when you leave. You think that you can function without any sort of guidance (don't give me that....I know you've thought this at least once) and be just fine. But as that gold edged horizon creeps closer, (as in you end your junior year and begin your senior) you begin to see things on it you had missed before. Like that stomach virus, and all the responsibility, and the loneliness, and the work, and the heart ache, and the awkwardness of new situations and unfamilliar surroundings. The smelly laundry that you have to do yourself and the pressure of others and the long nights all come into focus. Bleak sounding hu? I thought I was prepared, but over the summer I've realized how much I still have to learn. I guess its a sign of maturity when you can admit that you don't know everything. At least thats a step in the right direction.
That college I looked at is awesome. The campus is very old and all the floors slope at a 15* angle. The dining hall is very big and new, the student lounge needs chairs with padded backs. If I go that would be my first project. My second would be figuring out how to prop my bed up so I don't roll out of it during the night. Aside from the accomodations, the classes sound awesome, like just what I want, and the teachers seem to have the students best interests in mind. Spending the night there was quite interesting. I was put in a room with 3 other girls who were all sick in some way. The showers were crowded and eating by yourself is no fun. I spent the evening with a good friend of mine who would most likely become my "adopted" brother because his family lives so close to the school. I really enjoyed talking to him and if you are reading this Jon, being near your house gives ELIM major points.
After I voiced my declaration of dependence above I feel much better. I still have a year yet to go and learning how to be an independant woman may not take that long (yeah right, I will always need my mom). God put me in this place and stretching is good for the soul, it promotes growth. Maybe I can even learn how to hold someone elses head over the throne...
Chicklette 10:02 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment


Listed on BlogShares