Wednesday, October 03, 2001
One thing I learned today; going to get your permit is a humbling experience. You walk in to this white walled building (this is subjective to your location though) and take a number - (there are so many people there because the place is only open Friday, Saturday and one weekday.) Then you sit with butterflies in your stomach and watch all the other 16 yr. olds take a number and sit with butterflies in their stomach. Another element in this is the fact that you have to come in with at least one parent. This is the all American teenage nightmare, here we are, fighting for independence in our own little revolution and the very thing that would give us our freedom (or lots of it) causes us to align ourselves with the enemy AND walk out in public with them, displaying for all the world to see: our actual, true to life, dependence. But its not like you are going to the mall with them, you are walking into a windowless building filled with other teenagers and their captors - So socially you are fine. They can't say anything because they are with their mom or dad too. Ahh saving grace... Eventually the moment comes, you find out your fate: Pass.......or Fail. ::Shivvvverrrs:: If the word "Fail" had come up on the screen I would have died, instantly. What do you tell your friends? Do you tell them at all? How would this affect your self esteem and your ability to react to situations of rejection and stress? But despite all your worst intuitions......YOU PASS!!! No! I PASSED!!!! Whoo hooo! It is now legal for me to try to learn how to take my self places! ""Oh What joy floods my soul like the sea billows roll!!!!"" My hands tremble as they reach for the ugly slip of paper...as it touches my fingers it suddenly becomes more beautiful than anything I've ever seen. {{sigh}} I made it. I've been dreaming of this day ever since I learned that I would too (like my parents) have the opportunity (Note the choice of words implying that it is not guaranteed but a variable based on my own decisions of obedience and maturity) to grow up and drive one of those big things too!! Of all the weird things involved with growing up, I like driving the best. It leaves you with an empowered feeling. Like you could rule the world. Global domination doesn't seem so far away now. :)
Chicklette 9:42 PM
