The Foot

The adventures of a migrant science teacher: "Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."

Thursday, November 08, 2001

Ever had a week (Or even a day) where soo much happens that you just have to talk about it but you are so drained that you can't? Well that was my week. I'm going through the worst kind of withdrawals (No drugs, just more than 5ft - actually more like 1320000 feet) I have TONS of school, people's lives are falling apart and on top of it I've become a poster child and token abused teenager for a state wide (its a national issue but I'm staying in PA) fight to guarantee the rights of charter school kids.
It started on Monday when I went to try out at the local HS for a part in the drama. I did well and got a call the next day telling me that I couldn't come back 'cause I was in a charter school. Now, that was the WORST thing to do. We've been irked by this kind of thing for 8 years now and that was kinda like the straw that broke the camel’s back. Dad, all the way in India, was telling mom to call the governor and our state senators and the TV station and the news paper and the Charter school (Who in turn called the ACLU and the PA dept of Education AND all of their lawyers) and go BACK to the try outs the next day. Hahaha... I must get it from him..... anyway - I went back and spent the next 2 hours watching the other kids go in and out of the auditorium, knowing full well I'd never be called in. It was humiliating to say the least but I can deal with it. I was there and that’s what counts. The next day, 20 min before mom was going to call the news, the super of the HS called my house, apologized and said I can be in the drama. Cool hu? So now I'm going to go to Harrisburg on Tuesday to testify how great my district is for giving up and reluctantly letting me have what is mine by law (Act 22 1997). I will prolly be on TV so if you want to see my 15 min of fame tune in :)
I might be going to NYC this Monday. A friend wants to go see the mess and walk down memory lane a bit and he's willing to let me go with. I want to see everything but at the same time I don't. Its kind of like watching a movie about war or the Holocaust or an abusive husband and his wife - you don't want to watch it but you have to. I can't help but think of all the bodies under the rubble and all of the lives that have been pulled up by the roots - they will either die or you'll see exactly how strong they are. There has never been an attack on our soil like this. Now comes the whole schpeel about coming together as a nation and repenting before God. That’s true and revival won't come if we don't, but I also think the time has come to restate our own commitments, to make conscious decisions, aside from the emotion of the moment. So many people run to the altar blinded by tears and then run away from it instead of towards it when their lives fall apart. Emotion is the key to our hearts. Its that beautiful thing that God built in to spice life and give us a taste of what He is like. But you aren't always going to feel mushy and willing. The buckets of tears that fell when the towers did served to plow up the ground but we need to foster roots, cut off things that will contaminate them, and set our faces towards God.
Man, sometimes I can't wait to get to heaven. I was talking to a good friend of mine about how much this world stinks. I see people hurting and its their fault. Like a brother and sister who want to love each other but don't know how. Each sees things from a completely different angle - so when the other does something it only hurts instead of heals. Or like a girl who doesn't value herself enough to get out of a definitely dangerous and hurtful situation.
Wow, the coolest thing happened the other day. A friend and I had been planning on going on a mission trip the summer of 2003 but we didn't know where and we didn't want to go alone and we didn't want it to be too expensive. SO - my dad emailed and said he'd arranged for 5 -6 kids to go to INDIA the summer of 2003 and travel up into the mountains and witness at some COMPLETELY un-reached villages. WOW. Talk about the voice of God. So I'm pumped about that.
God is so good, no matter how hard I try to get away from it, He just keeps running after me. I've been so blessed. I have a great family, I lost no one on Sept 11th, I'm graduating this year and I know what I'm supposed to do with my life. Not many people can say all that. I have my issues but they seem small in comparison to HIM and what HE wants me to become. Its a great time to be me (Female and wonderfully griped ) :) - What wonderful worth was bestowed? To be bought by blood..... - wow......
Chicklette 11:21 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment


Listed on BlogShares