Thursday, February 07, 2002
I've just noticed something. I am sooooooooooo white. Not "white" but pale. And not 'cause I stay indoors all the time - I don't, but I have just always been this way. Anyways....
Today was spent buried in a book - Wuthering heights. I am currently 10 pages away from the end. So far it has lived up to its reputation of being disturbing. I'm supposed to come up with a few of its themes. Themes? Revenge might be one - but what about revenge I don't know quite yet. Heathcliff has terrorized these two families for YEARS on the basis of "revenge." He doesn't turn the other cheek - he causes those who have offended him horrendous pain and relishes in it. He hates people all the more when they are afraid of him. He has abused his own son to death, and only married his mother to seek revenge on her brother. I think him to be the complete embodiment of evil. Then he speaks or does something to show that what heart he had was really very beautiful (though in a strange way) but it was turned the way it is by other people abusing him. So then I think he is justified. THEN he does something so horrible I think he's a monster again. Well anyway - he's dead and the family finally has a hope of happiness - three generations spoiled by this one man...oh! and his female counterpart. "But Nelly! I AM Heathcliff!" Cathrine was her name - she was just as bad as he was. She understood him and they got along because he felt she was part of his soul and he adored her. Read the book. Its kinda long but worth it - very entertaining if you can get past the language (lol not swearing dear).
Today was spent buried in a book - Wuthering heights. I am currently 10 pages away from the end. So far it has lived up to its reputation of being disturbing. I'm supposed to come up with a few of its themes. Themes? Revenge might be one - but what about revenge I don't know quite yet. Heathcliff has terrorized these two families for YEARS on the basis of "revenge." He doesn't turn the other cheek - he causes those who have offended him horrendous pain and relishes in it. He hates people all the more when they are afraid of him. He has abused his own son to death, and only married his mother to seek revenge on her brother. I think him to be the complete embodiment of evil. Then he speaks or does something to show that what heart he had was really very beautiful (though in a strange way) but it was turned the way it is by other people abusing him. So then I think he is justified. THEN he does something so horrible I think he's a monster again. Well anyway - he's dead and the family finally has a hope of happiness - three generations spoiled by this one man...oh! and his female counterpart. "But Nelly! I AM Heathcliff!" Cathrine was her name - she was just as bad as he was. She understood him and they got along because he felt she was part of his soul and he adored her. Read the book. Its kinda long but worth it - very entertaining if you can get past the language (lol not swearing dear).
Chicklette 9:22 PM
