Wednesday, May 29, 2002
My last physics class was today. I can honestly say I will miss it terribly. It has been my favorite by far - and for someone who was not much with science that's saying alot. We've covered everything from velocity and little balls falling off cliffs and relativity to electricity, waves and quantum mechanics. I almost wish I could take it again next year.
Today we talked about modern physics and some theories that relate to both science and society. Something I've gathered from all these "lectures" is that both are closely connected. How people think determines their perspective on life, their possibility and how things will eventually work out. Something that stuck out from today was Mr Stein's shpeel about the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle. The principle states that momentum and the position of an object cannot be BOTH exactly known. (Proved through the theoretical death of many cats) In other terms this means that there are definate limits to our knowledge. There are things that will never and can never be known. In trying to discover one variable you sacrifice knowing another. The future is completely unpredictable. Science has actually validated that we are not little gods and goddesses - that we can't control anything, but at the same time we have control over ourselves. Life is 1% what happens to us, 99% what we do about it. From this I also gathered that in some subtle way Mr Stein was calling for a return to responsibility. That the consequences of your actions reach much further then ever imagined, and that personal responcibility makes up the back bone of social charactor. The previous line of thought was called determinism - "If we can measure the position and motion of every particle, we can compute its past, present and predict its future." People were self confident in the fact that everything could be explained mathmatically or logically and that eventually everything would be explained. But through all the dead cats this logic died also. (ask me and I'll explain it in more detail) Its like common sense woke up again. We won't know everything and are completely helpless. So where does that leave us? He pointed out that the feeling of apathy in my generation could be coming from the hopelesness of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. There are no absolutes and life is kinda pointless. He also told us that we would be facing these things as we graduate. I am so glad I already have the answers. I would recommend physics as an addition to any serious Bible study. How cool is God? I've never realized till now. Of course there is always the wonder of things you don't understand, but how about the awe you get from understanding how little you really know? SO many things just flashed open this year. Stuff we talked about like relativity and light and waves and color and atoms just oozzes with God's awesome creativity. As for the hopelessness that the Uncertanty thing instills: Its true, without God we are hopeless and life has no meaning. But WITH God I don't have to understand the whole universe. I just obey and never feel lost. That is called faith.
ROMANS 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
Today we talked about modern physics and some theories that relate to both science and society. Something I've gathered from all these "lectures" is that both are closely connected. How people think determines their perspective on life, their possibility and how things will eventually work out. Something that stuck out from today was Mr Stein's shpeel about the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle. The principle states that momentum and the position of an object cannot be BOTH exactly known. (Proved through the theoretical death of many cats) In other terms this means that there are definate limits to our knowledge. There are things that will never and can never be known. In trying to discover one variable you sacrifice knowing another. The future is completely unpredictable. Science has actually validated that we are not little gods and goddesses - that we can't control anything, but at the same time we have control over ourselves. Life is 1% what happens to us, 99% what we do about it. From this I also gathered that in some subtle way Mr Stein was calling for a return to responsibility. That the consequences of your actions reach much further then ever imagined, and that personal responcibility makes up the back bone of social charactor. The previous line of thought was called determinism - "If we can measure the position and motion of every particle, we can compute its past, present and predict its future." People were self confident in the fact that everything could be explained mathmatically or logically and that eventually everything would be explained. But through all the dead cats this logic died also. (ask me and I'll explain it in more detail) Its like common sense woke up again. We won't know everything and are completely helpless. So where does that leave us? He pointed out that the feeling of apathy in my generation could be coming from the hopelesness of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. There are no absolutes and life is kinda pointless. He also told us that we would be facing these things as we graduate. I am so glad I already have the answers. I would recommend physics as an addition to any serious Bible study. How cool is God? I've never realized till now. Of course there is always the wonder of things you don't understand, but how about the awe you get from understanding how little you really know? SO many things just flashed open this year. Stuff we talked about like relativity and light and waves and color and atoms just oozzes with God's awesome creativity. As for the hopelessness that the Uncertanty thing instills: Its true, without God we are hopeless and life has no meaning. But WITH God I don't have to understand the whole universe. I just obey and never feel lost. That is called faith.
ROMANS 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
Chicklette 10:15 PM
1 Comments:
aleya littleton, its kristy sharp *now lochead* romania 2001..you better remember me woman!!! how are ya?

