Saturday, September 07, 2002
Thursday:
Per request of my English 015 teacher I am re-starting "My Foot." Now, the assignment was to keep a one paragraph, daily journal of the mundane (right) events of my life. BUT because I enjoyed doing this so much last school year I figured " why not go all the way?" So here I am.
Today (Thursday) nothing special happened. Oh wait! It did! I found out that since I am an "honors" student I get access to the only color printer on campus. Cool hu? I'm excited. Just the news I needed to brighten up a dreary day of classes. All day long the sky has been threatening to tear apart and soak the earth. By late afternoon the suspense of the impending rainfall was absolutely killing me. Our area needs it desperately so I hope it comes soon.
Here is an interesting anecdote: On our First year seminar scavenger hunt, as we walked around campus under that oppressive sky, I turned around to look at my compatriots and found that they had ALL whipped out their cell phones and were busy carrying on pointless conversations with other people on campus (probably each other.) I was shocked and completely amused to see how pop culture had sucked them in. If they had been using the phones out of real need - like if they were CEO's of major top 10 corporations who just found out that they were being audited by the government - then yeah, I would have understood. They aren't though, and most likely the other people they were talking to were in class. Now I definitely have to get my cell phone hooked up :)
Friday:
What a great day to write about!!! I am ecstatic. EXTATIC. I went shopping for the first time this summer and I did soooooo well. For those of you who know me you'll remember that I HATE shopping. I despise it. It gives me a headache and I get superiority/fat complexes. I try to avoid it as much as possible but every once in w while I find that my clothes either have holes or are too tight/stretched out and I need to replace them. I usually make a 6-hour unsuccessful trek to the mall and come back sick and depressed. Not so this time! I did get a headache but I found some cheap stuff I really like. I actually look GOOD this year. This is SUCH an encouragement. Just think, if there is hope for me then there is DEFFINATELY hope for reform in our government; and there is DEFFINATELY hope for peace in the Middle East!
God is teaching me: trust. I am indeed experiencing a certain amount of apprehension at the current and coming changes in my life. Stuff like money used to be so easy. Now I have multiple accounts and cards and payments to manage. I'm so used to having my days and schedule planed out for me, that quit without me really realizing it. I've been learning more and more that when foundation-rocking things like the afore mentioned and college happen, if you look to your self for your foundation you will fall - its God you gotta trust. That just goes to show how backwards God is. (Or maybe it’s us.) When we think of independence we think of the I can look out for me attitude walking down the street in a crowded city wearing high heels and a business suit. When God thinks of independence He sees a lonely lost girl, too dressed up for her age. All he wants to do is reach down His hand and help us out. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.
Saturday:
Did I mention it rained? :) It did and things look not so brown any more and all wet and nasty - but I like it. I worked today at the pool from 9am to 5pm. Whoa was it cold. Can you just picture little me sitting in sweat pants and a big red "GUARD" sweatshirt under an umbrella watching some suicidal little kid jump off the diving board? I bet you can - it was a funny picture. It felt so good to be back "home" after being away all week. I worked full time (full and over time) at Spruce Lake Retreat up in the lovely Pocono molehills. I spent all day every day at that place. It was my summer home and I just quit full time last week. I didn't realize how much I would miss it. I didn't really have much opportunity to have a social life this summer so most of my friends came from there too. Some are back at their own colleges/homes now but some are still there and I enjoyed catching up on the week's events. Brian - our Kiwi from New Zealand - broke his ankle wrestling a small child from the grasp of a wild bear. Not really, but the true story is kind of boring. He stepped off his front step wrong and fell. That's all. So now he is our resident gimp and this means I have tons more opportunities to bust on him. Maybe I should send him a sympathy card, or a bowl of chicken soup. While we sat in the staff room upstairs people from this one group of guests kept walking in on us thinking we were with them. We obviously weren't and when they realized that they would walk out all embarrassed. After that happened a few times Ray put the couch in front of one of the doors to try and keep them out while we watched a movie. About half way through this girl walked in. The room was dark so this is understandable - she sat down and just started prattling on about something and chewing us out for not including her in our cinematic adventure. Of course we were just staring blankly at first - when she finally realized who we weren't she stood up and said "Oh! You aren't from my group!" and ran from the room all embarrassed apologizing for walking in on us. I don't think I've laughed that hard in a while.
Sunday:
I broke my best friend. No, honestly – I broke her. We were running down the hall at church (like mature youth leaders) and she rammed me so I slammed her back. She fell agents the wall o her right side and jammed her foot weird. It started swelling and hurt a lot – I almost cried with sympathy pains. I drove her and her mom to the hospital. They waited there all afternoon for the doctors to x-ray her. They said they saw no obvious break but there could be a hairline fracture. They splinted her foot and gave her crutches so now she looks completely pathetic. I saw my Davy today also! After waiting with Ali at the hospital for a while she gave me leave to go - so I went - and raced the clock to get to Spruce Lake I time to meet him. After 20 min of searching I found Bill – another summer compatriot – and we sat and waited. We waited 1 hour and 33 minutes past when we thought he would arrive. When he did finally come he was so rushed he flew right past all the signs we had made for him. Any way, we spent the afternoon with him and his youth group at a cabin by lake Wallenpaupack. I had so much fun. A reminder of summer was exactly what I needed. When he sends it to me I’ll put up Davy’s poem on flirting J VERY good stuff. See in his theory…….
Monday is Labor Day!
…And I did nothing!! I should have studied in the morning but instead I slept in and put off the studying till late evening. My family went to the GDS fair to see if any of their entries had won. My brother walked away with 3 blue ribbons, one red and one white. My sister’s portrait took first and her photograph of my brother took second. I should have entered stuff this year. You win money you know… and I need that. I really wish I could have gone with. I can’t seem to study in my house so I spent the evening sitting in my car reading stuff for EDTHP (of course – what other class would I be working on?) I was lonely. I keep breaking in the middle for pity party sessions. There is nothing so satisfying as navel gazing. I called Davy later.J That was good. I wish it were still summer. Mal and I went out and got ice cream at the little white store – I spent a whole quarter. It was good though – it gave us some time to bond.
Tuesday:
Today was my first Philosophy class. Well – it wasn’t a class it was more like an organizational meeting. I’m going to like this class. Love it and get kicked out that is. I know they say they embrace different opinions but I’m leery of weather they actually will or not. Some of the topics covered in the textbook are weather women should be allowed to serve in subs or not; if great apes should have some of the same rights as humans; abortion; gay rights and marriage; and if morals are connected to religion at all. Guess which topic I want to debate? All of ‘em. I think I have the most ammo on the later I mentioned, I may sign up for that one. Maybe I’ll read Mere Christianity again.
Wednesday
Today is the last day I have to journal!! I’m going to keep doing it though. Not every day unless I am instructed to. My English assignment is to write a paper on something I remember that changed my perspective on something. Something. Something. Something. I have noooooo clue what I am going to write on. NOOOOOOO clue. Maybe brainstorming will help… I could write on ENC HAZ MAT situation. That didn’t change anything though. Oh! I could write on my first timed writing! I remember that vividly. Now, what did that teach me? That the world doesn’t end with one paper. That people who do this for a living are amazing. That Hitlerette my teacher was on to something. I’m not nervous about this paper – I just don’t know his expectations yet that’s all. I’m going to have to write it here too’ cause there is no way I’m going to get anything done at my house. Ugh oh well – its off to work I go!
Per request of my English 015 teacher I am re-starting "My Foot." Now, the assignment was to keep a one paragraph, daily journal of the mundane (right) events of my life. BUT because I enjoyed doing this so much last school year I figured " why not go all the way?" So here I am.
Today (Thursday) nothing special happened. Oh wait! It did! I found out that since I am an "honors" student I get access to the only color printer on campus. Cool hu? I'm excited. Just the news I needed to brighten up a dreary day of classes. All day long the sky has been threatening to tear apart and soak the earth. By late afternoon the suspense of the impending rainfall was absolutely killing me. Our area needs it desperately so I hope it comes soon.
Here is an interesting anecdote: On our First year seminar scavenger hunt, as we walked around campus under that oppressive sky, I turned around to look at my compatriots and found that they had ALL whipped out their cell phones and were busy carrying on pointless conversations with other people on campus (probably each other.) I was shocked and completely amused to see how pop culture had sucked them in. If they had been using the phones out of real need - like if they were CEO's of major top 10 corporations who just found out that they were being audited by the government - then yeah, I would have understood. They aren't though, and most likely the other people they were talking to were in class. Now I definitely have to get my cell phone hooked up :)
Friday:
What a great day to write about!!! I am ecstatic. EXTATIC. I went shopping for the first time this summer and I did soooooo well. For those of you who know me you'll remember that I HATE shopping. I despise it. It gives me a headache and I get superiority/fat complexes. I try to avoid it as much as possible but every once in w while I find that my clothes either have holes or are too tight/stretched out and I need to replace them. I usually make a 6-hour unsuccessful trek to the mall and come back sick and depressed. Not so this time! I did get a headache but I found some cheap stuff I really like. I actually look GOOD this year. This is SUCH an encouragement. Just think, if there is hope for me then there is DEFFINATELY hope for reform in our government; and there is DEFFINATELY hope for peace in the Middle East!
God is teaching me: trust. I am indeed experiencing a certain amount of apprehension at the current and coming changes in my life. Stuff like money used to be so easy. Now I have multiple accounts and cards and payments to manage. I'm so used to having my days and schedule planed out for me, that quit without me really realizing it. I've been learning more and more that when foundation-rocking things like the afore mentioned and college happen, if you look to your self for your foundation you will fall - its God you gotta trust. That just goes to show how backwards God is. (Or maybe it’s us.) When we think of independence we think of the I can look out for me attitude walking down the street in a crowded city wearing high heels and a business suit. When God thinks of independence He sees a lonely lost girl, too dressed up for her age. All he wants to do is reach down His hand and help us out. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.
Saturday:
Did I mention it rained? :) It did and things look not so brown any more and all wet and nasty - but I like it. I worked today at the pool from 9am to 5pm. Whoa was it cold. Can you just picture little me sitting in sweat pants and a big red "GUARD" sweatshirt under an umbrella watching some suicidal little kid jump off the diving board? I bet you can - it was a funny picture. It felt so good to be back "home" after being away all week. I worked full time (full and over time) at Spruce Lake Retreat up in the lovely Pocono molehills. I spent all day every day at that place. It was my summer home and I just quit full time last week. I didn't realize how much I would miss it. I didn't really have much opportunity to have a social life this summer so most of my friends came from there too. Some are back at their own colleges/homes now but some are still there and I enjoyed catching up on the week's events. Brian - our Kiwi from New Zealand - broke his ankle wrestling a small child from the grasp of a wild bear. Not really, but the true story is kind of boring. He stepped off his front step wrong and fell. That's all. So now he is our resident gimp and this means I have tons more opportunities to bust on him. Maybe I should send him a sympathy card, or a bowl of chicken soup. While we sat in the staff room upstairs people from this one group of guests kept walking in on us thinking we were with them. We obviously weren't and when they realized that they would walk out all embarrassed. After that happened a few times Ray put the couch in front of one of the doors to try and keep them out while we watched a movie. About half way through this girl walked in. The room was dark so this is understandable - she sat down and just started prattling on about something and chewing us out for not including her in our cinematic adventure. Of course we were just staring blankly at first - when she finally realized who we weren't she stood up and said "Oh! You aren't from my group!" and ran from the room all embarrassed apologizing for walking in on us. I don't think I've laughed that hard in a while.
Sunday:
I broke my best friend. No, honestly – I broke her. We were running down the hall at church (like mature youth leaders) and she rammed me so I slammed her back. She fell agents the wall o her right side and jammed her foot weird. It started swelling and hurt a lot – I almost cried with sympathy pains. I drove her and her mom to the hospital. They waited there all afternoon for the doctors to x-ray her. They said they saw no obvious break but there could be a hairline fracture. They splinted her foot and gave her crutches so now she looks completely pathetic. I saw my Davy today also! After waiting with Ali at the hospital for a while she gave me leave to go - so I went - and raced the clock to get to Spruce Lake I time to meet him. After 20 min of searching I found Bill – another summer compatriot – and we sat and waited. We waited 1 hour and 33 minutes past when we thought he would arrive. When he did finally come he was so rushed he flew right past all the signs we had made for him. Any way, we spent the afternoon with him and his youth group at a cabin by lake Wallenpaupack. I had so much fun. A reminder of summer was exactly what I needed. When he sends it to me I’ll put up Davy’s poem on flirting J VERY good stuff. See in his theory…….
Monday is Labor Day!
…And I did nothing!! I should have studied in the morning but instead I slept in and put off the studying till late evening. My family went to the GDS fair to see if any of their entries had won. My brother walked away with 3 blue ribbons, one red and one white. My sister’s portrait took first and her photograph of my brother took second. I should have entered stuff this year. You win money you know… and I need that. I really wish I could have gone with. I can’t seem to study in my house so I spent the evening sitting in my car reading stuff for EDTHP (of course – what other class would I be working on?) I was lonely. I keep breaking in the middle for pity party sessions. There is nothing so satisfying as navel gazing. I called Davy later.J That was good. I wish it were still summer. Mal and I went out and got ice cream at the little white store – I spent a whole quarter. It was good though – it gave us some time to bond.
Tuesday:
Today was my first Philosophy class. Well – it wasn’t a class it was more like an organizational meeting. I’m going to like this class. Love it and get kicked out that is. I know they say they embrace different opinions but I’m leery of weather they actually will or not. Some of the topics covered in the textbook are weather women should be allowed to serve in subs or not; if great apes should have some of the same rights as humans; abortion; gay rights and marriage; and if morals are connected to religion at all. Guess which topic I want to debate? All of ‘em. I think I have the most ammo on the later I mentioned, I may sign up for that one. Maybe I’ll read Mere Christianity again.
Wednesday
Today is the last day I have to journal!! I’m going to keep doing it though. Not every day unless I am instructed to. My English assignment is to write a paper on something I remember that changed my perspective on something. Something. Something. Something. I have noooooo clue what I am going to write on. NOOOOOOO clue. Maybe brainstorming will help… I could write on ENC HAZ MAT situation. That didn’t change anything though. Oh! I could write on my first timed writing! I remember that vividly. Now, what did that teach me? That the world doesn’t end with one paper. That people who do this for a living are amazing. That Hitlerette my teacher was on to something. I’m not nervous about this paper – I just don’t know his expectations yet that’s all. I’m going to have to write it here too’ cause there is no way I’m going to get anything done at my house. Ugh oh well – its off to work I go!
Chicklette 11:44 PM
