The Foot

The adventures of a migrant science teacher: "Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."

Thursday, November 14, 2002

Hey, 2 weeks ago I went to NYC with the honors program at PSU. Fun trip. Dale came with me :) and we walked around NYC, stopping at Ground Zero, Virgin Records, Times Square (omg - you could see the MTV studios from there!!!! :: faints ::) Rockefeller Center with that "I believe" monument. I'm gonna find that one of these days... We had lunch in little itly (Italy) and dinner in the McDonalds on 42nd and 6th. Last time I was there I wrote about the atmosphere and what it was like to visit the site of the most horrific event on US soil since Pearl Harbor only two months after the fact. This time my experience was a bit different. Honestly I will always miss the skyline - and I don't even live there. That's the classic NY scene: the hustle and bustle, the taxis, and the musical skyline. The people around seem to be coping relatively well. The ora of "we've moved on" seems to have settled over the place. There are countless memorials, official and hand crafted, littering the streets around the WTC subway reconstruction site. The one that impressed me the most was a poster of Lincoln’s quote about "how great a sacrifice was laid upon the alter of freedom..." The church that served as a sanctuary immediately following the tragedy has remained open and continues to offer relief aid. The amount of loss associated with NYC now continues to inspire me to some odd state of gravity and reflection... I'm not sure weather its respect or morbid fascination. I'd like to think it is both because one will keep the memory sacred and the other will keep it alive. One thing I can say - there is definitely hope for NYC. You can tell, its written on their faces. MUAH! May we continue to be one nation UNDER GOD!
Chicklette 12:27 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment


Listed on BlogShares