The Foot

The adventures of a migrant science teacher: "Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."

Wednesday, January 01, 2003

2002: A year in review.

Well lemme see... New Year's is supposed to be a time of reflection, where you glance back on the events of the year and see what you did right, and what you could have done better. Over all I think I did pretty well. I graduated from high school at the tender age of 16. I don't know what I would do if I were still in HS. Die prolly. It bothers me that I can't jump into my future right now. All this training and preparation is annoying :) (Lesson #1. BE PATIENT - never been one of my strong areas.) This spring I successfully endured the most horrible English Lit class in history. My teacher was Hitler and I was her captive by force. It was miserable. I did, however, learn how to turn out a presentable essay in 45 minutes, and the discipline I needed this fall to turn out countless papers and reviews. So I guess I don't hate her completely. Its just that she made me work, and not many things challange me like she did. I took the AP test and got a 4 (WHOO HOO) That was the scariest day, but I survived. My graduation in June was beautiful. I had a ceremony with my "family" at the church. Haha, I got to dress up - looked like Cinderella. Mom put up balloons all over the place, real cute - momish. Ski/Lesh/Thumb came to visit :) Once again I came very close to being violated. I think they held back 'cause itwas MY party. Later that week we made the 8 hour trip to Midland so I could get my diploma. I suprised mom by getting up infront of everyone and singing. See, she had been begging me to do somethig at our church and I kept saying no. She didn't know I was talking to the people at the cyber school :) I figured since I was homeschooled for so long it was kind of her day too. She cried - and I've got pics to prove it. It was great.

I spent the summer working as a life guard/receptionist/clerk/maintinance/house keeper at Spruce Lake Retreat. I spent 50 hours a week working there plus alot more time just hanging around. It wasn't bad at all - I couldn't have asked for a better way to sepnd my summer. I needed money, but that place was more than just work, all my friends were there, my boss rocked, and I LOOOVED that pool. Man I miss it. I was thrown in so many times I got to know it intimately. Haha, at the staff reunuion this past weekend I was bombarded by little boys and snow balls STILL bitter that I beat the crap out of them this summer and threw all their stuff in the pool - almost 6 months ago. I have to quit working there though. I mannaged it this semester on the weekends but now I'm working at the Y and another job in the opposite direction from everything would be too much. I'd be waisting too much time driving.

This fall I started college at Penn State University, Worthington-Scranto campus. More commonly its refered to as "Pen State Worthless." Bad hu? I disagree however. I'm liking it alot. My tuition is being completely covered between grants and scholarships. I get a check back every semester for "over paymet" that covers books, gas, clothes... God is soooooo good. He knows without this I wouldn't be going. The best thing is that I COULD be taking out loans but mission agencies won't take people in debt. I've met so many people, pushed my self to exhaustion many times and discovered the value of coffee. I knew of its powers before but now... oh my. It has become my nearest and dearest friend.

Over Christmas we had 23 inches of snow unceremoniously dumped on our unsuspecting heads. This prevented any guests from venturing over, but that's ok - I was ill/have been ill over the holidays. I went from at 104 degree fever and dizziness and headache to a head cold where I can't taste anything or pop my ears. Oh well, I'll get better soon.

In conclusion, its really hard to include and examine every detail of a year in one sitting. I have loved and lost this year, then loved and lost again. My idea of who I am has solidified in my heart while everything around me changes. When I think of it, I'm really blessed. Most people get swept along with the tide when things change, ending up so far down stream they don't know what to do. All I can say is that life is interesting. not good, not, wonderful, not bad, or depressing, or sweet. Simply interesting.
Chicklette 12:55 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment


Listed on BlogShares