Friday, May 06, 2005
Oh man...
There must be a name for what I suffer from...
I just sent an EMAIL to FOX NEWS correcting one of their stories. Don't judge me yet - it was a grevious error! I had to do something!
A woman's car was struck by lightning- blowing out the windshield. They said that the TIRES saved her when infact:
The safety of a car in a thunderstorm has nothing to do with the tires. When struck by lightning, the car creates what is called a Faraday Cage - What happens when a bolt strikes a Faraday cage, or an all-metal car, is that the current spreads out across the conductive metal surfaces and eventually passes to the ground, either through the tires or over their wet surface, and not through you. As long as you aren't in contact with the car body, you're protected from the electrical current. Lightning is capable of striking through miles of air; a few inches of rubber won’t do any good to stop it. If that were the case rubber soled shoes would be enough to protect you, but they aren’t. In fact, the rubber in tires and shoes are made through a high-heat vulcanizing process. And what heat puts together, heat can take apart. Most likely the tires on a car would blow out since a lightning bolt can energize to temperatures of about 30,000 degrees F.
::sigh:: I'm sick, but I like it.
I just sent an EMAIL to FOX NEWS correcting one of their stories. Don't judge me yet - it was a grevious error! I had to do something!
A woman's car was struck by lightning- blowing out the windshield. They said that the TIRES saved her when infact:
The safety of a car in a thunderstorm has nothing to do with the tires. When struck by lightning, the car creates what is called a Faraday Cage - What happens when a bolt strikes a Faraday cage, or an all-metal car, is that the current spreads out across the conductive metal surfaces and eventually passes to the ground, either through the tires or over their wet surface, and not through you. As long as you aren't in contact with the car body, you're protected from the electrical current. Lightning is capable of striking through miles of air; a few inches of rubber won’t do any good to stop it. If that were the case rubber soled shoes would be enough to protect you, but they aren’t. In fact, the rubber in tires and shoes are made through a high-heat vulcanizing process. And what heat puts together, heat can take apart. Most likely the tires on a car would blow out since a lightning bolt can energize to temperatures of about 30,000 degrees F.
::sigh:: I'm sick, but I like it.
Chicklette 10:59 AM
