The Foot

The adventures of a migrant science teacher: "Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."

Thursday, August 11, 2005

And puppy makes three...

I have an "analigee" - or maybe I should just call it "an annalea" after the great speller. This is a principle that our parents pound into our heads over and over throughout our childhood, but like most things, until it becomes personal to us it rarely sinks in and has true meaning. So here is my rhema:

My folks always told me that they and God give us boundaries and rules to keep us safe (understood) and that there is great freedom within those boundaries(not so understood.) Freedom? In a cage? Uhhu... My little Butter helped me understand this. I love her very much so we've crate trained her and we have a leash mechanism hooked up in the back yard. Her boundaries are pretty much the garden, the tree line, and the back door. Is she safe? Yes. That is unless a car drives up onto the lawn and squashed her. This is the part that always confused me. Is she free? Nooooo way. She is limited to amusing herself inside that circle. She cannot roam the neighborhood and make friends and eat stuff. Just like I am not "free" to do whatever the heck I want to. So maybe we have the wrong understanding of "freedom." I always interpreted it as "freedom to" something. Maybe it is supposed to be "freedom from" something. Yeah Butter is stuck in the lawn but she is free from the danger of being killed. What is better: Walking wherever with the sepulcher of death always looming overhead? Or keeping to a more limited area and having no worries at all. To me that Emotional and Spiritual freedom is much better than the Physical freedom...

Ahhh, I love being owned by a dog.
Chicklette 11:17 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment


Listed on BlogShares