The Foot

The adventures of a migrant science teacher: "Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."

Monday, December 19, 2005

Good Bye Sir.

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds--and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of--wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up,up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where the lark and even eagle flew,
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.


Lt Dave Fielding: Pilot, husband, aerospace educator, mentor, hero - left to dance the skies December 18th, 2005.

I don't remember when I first met him. I was too young and distracted. I do remember realizing that we suddenly had the best aerospace sqdrn in the wing. It was his fault. We also found it easier to get transportation to various events. That was his fault too. When all the large, rotund, seniors seemed to be ganging up on us I always knew that there was one (non rotund) that I could count on. He taught me how to fiercely protect those in my charge, and to shield them from the unnecessary pain of the world. I will forever remember the bright yellow Mickey Mouse poncho - something only he could pull off. The rest of us were trying to look hard core - somehow he looked much better. He was proud of me - I never smiled so much as when he said something about my leadership style or quirks. We talked about true love and I told him that when I found it he'd be the first invited to my wedding. He was. Love found him too, and carried him up to the skies. There he still lives and inspires. I miss you sir.

"Rangers don't go 'Poof!"
"Why did the cadet fall out of the van?"
"Why, I'm an instrument pilot..."
Chicklette 1:41 PM

1 Comments:

beautifully put, aleya. call me if you want to talk. I love you.

Add a comment


Listed on BlogShares