Wednesday, July 25, 2007
A great thread on the NSTA Listserve
>Greetings!
>
>I am wondering about what really most affects students' science education
>and experiences which lead to science-related careers.
>
>I would expect most people really only have a handful of close peers and
>friends from the various stages of their lives with whom they have shared
>the most important accomplishments affecting their being and career
>choices. As a group of science educators and professionals, I am
>wondering what or who has most impacted you.
>
>Please share three to five specifics of people, peers or adults,
>projects, programs and/or factors you think directed you toward becoming
>a science educator or other science-related professional. I do expect
>most people will have examples from their school environment like getting
>an 'A' on a coral reef report or Mrs. Smith's geoscience class. I am
>also interested in hearing of examples from non-school related
>experiences like catching garter snakes while on a family camping trip.
>
>Three to five. Short and simple is good. Please dig deep.
>
>Three for me are:
>~ having a pet bullsnake in second grade.
>~ a three-day outdoor ed class/retreat in sixth grade.
>~ building a trigger-release surgical tubing-powered spear gun in dad's
>workshop with a peer.
>
>Thanks,
>Jason
My Response
I have loved reading all the responses to this question, here are a few of mine...
1. These science "How To" videos that my parents bought for me. They showed you how to do things like tree and leaf rubbings, make pH paper from cabbage juice or worm jars. I loved those.
2. My family took a road trip from Wisconsin to the west coast of Oregon through places like the Badlands, Yellowstone and the Rocky Mountains. I still vividly remember that trip.
3. My highschool physics teacher, Mr. Stein. He helped me be successful and showed me that science truly is everything.
Thanks for such a great thread,
Aleya Van Doren
Earth Science Teacher
Pennsylvania
>
>I am wondering about what really most affects students' science education
>and experiences which lead to science-related careers.
>
>I would expect most people really only have a handful of close peers and
>friends from the various stages of their lives with whom they have shared
>the most important accomplishments affecting their being and career
>choices. As a group of science educators and professionals, I am
>wondering what or who has most impacted you.
>
>Please share three to five specifics of people, peers or adults,
>projects, programs and/or factors you think directed you toward becoming
>a science educator or other science-related professional. I do expect
>most people will have examples from their school environment like getting
>an 'A' on a coral reef report or Mrs. Smith's geoscience class. I am
>also interested in hearing of examples from non-school related
>experiences like catching garter snakes while on a family camping trip.
>
>Three to five. Short and simple is good. Please dig deep.
>
>Three for me are:
>~ having a pet bullsnake in second grade.
>~ a three-day outdoor ed class/retreat in sixth grade.
>~ building a trigger-release surgical tubing-powered spear gun in dad's
>workshop with a peer.
>
>Thanks,
>Jason
My Response
I have loved reading all the responses to this question, here are a few of mine...
1. These science "How To" videos that my parents bought for me. They showed you how to do things like tree and leaf rubbings, make pH paper from cabbage juice or worm jars. I loved those.
2. My family took a road trip from Wisconsin to the west coast of Oregon through places like the Badlands, Yellowstone and the Rocky Mountains. I still vividly remember that trip.
3. My highschool physics teacher, Mr. Stein. He helped me be successful and showed me that science truly is everything.
Thanks for such a great thread,
Aleya Van Doren
Earth Science Teacher
Pennsylvania
Chicklette 6:10 PM
