Monday, September 17, 2007
Drops on a Penny
Today’s lesson is going very well too. I think most of the kids have done it before, but it is still a good exercise to get my point across. I am teaching them about variables by having them try to get as many drops of water as they can onto a penny. They are so serious! One student proudly yelled out “Oh my Gosh! 52!” I couldn’t keep from laughing. Once they experiment with putting on the drops I have them clean up and make some observations of their penny. Then they brainstorm the things they did to try and fit more drops- hold the table still, the height of the dropper, the size of the drops, the side of the penny, etc… Then I tell them that these are variables, and I give them all the definitions: Dependent, Independent and Control. It’s the ABC, CBV strategy: Activity Before Concept, Concept Before Vocabulary. Dr. Chew would be so proud.
Chicklette 5:07 PM
