The Foot

The adventures of a migrant science teacher: "Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Metric Madness

I am teaching measurement for the first time today. I didn’t realize how difficult explaining the metric system would be. I start by having them compare the English and metric system and figure out why it would be easier to use metric. Then I give them the prefixes. That is the part I where my directions get unclear. You have a base and you add a prefix to get a number. I’m still working on it. I’m afraid I may have lost a lot of them though. I also feel like I should be teaching them volume and mass measurements too but we won’t be using them for a while. Learning it now would be a waste of time because they’d forget.

One student told me today that I was his favorite 7th grade teacher. That made me feel good. It also made me think that maybe I'm not being strict enough. Being feared can be good too...

Another student asked me about something in class and I told him a little about it and that we would be learning about it soon. He said "OH MAN! You can't just tell me and not let me do it! Why can't we do it now?" That made my day. I love it when they get so excited they just HAVE to know.

Teacher Quote: "Dogs are mammals too- basically." - Mr. H
Chicklette 10:24 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment


Listed on BlogShares