Tuesday, November 27, 2007
October Sky

I can't believe I've gone my whole life and never watched this movie. I rarely say that, but this one I truly enjoyed on several levels. It's a story about a kid who was inspired to make something of his life by the budding US space program. I've always dreamed of going to the moon. His dream was encouraged by his teacher. In one scene she says "My life's work is teaching, and I believed that if you boys won that science fair... got scholarships... went off and did something great with your lives... somehow my life would have counted for something." So much of this job is what you want for yourself, your career, your family, your creative outlet. The rest is so much about what you want for your kids. Those kids that you see for 40 minutes + homeroom for 180 days... that's exactly 5 days of quality time, day and night, of quality time. Divide that equally by the 28 kids in your class for those 5 days and nights and each child gets about 4.5 hours of quality time. 4.5 hours for me to invest in them, yet I want them to succede, to be wise, to be fulfilled and to be happy. Seems like even though I am on earth, I am still shooting for the moon...
Chicklette 7:58 PM
2 Comments:
I loved this movie - Dad and I saw it a long time ago - I wonder why you didn't see it too. Glad you stumbled across it. Mom
That movie is in the pile of David's DVDs I brought with me from PA -- I haven't seen it yet...


